Saturday, October 29, 2005

Little Johnny wants to play….In the rain

Almost every blogger from Chennai has updated his/her blogspot about yesterday's rains and here is my two drops to it...
I got up only at 7.30 and everybody at home were talking about the rains. It was really dark and my mom had already decided that I was taking off. Dad said there is no way I could drive 15 kms and get to work. My thatha said 'Switch on the TV, lets see the floods'?! I really didn't feel like taking off, but convincing the people at home and getting to work became difficult with the heavy downpour and dark clouds. I had almost decided to settle on the couch, watch the rain, solve crosswords and laze out.
Just when I realized that we didn't get the newspaper, the power went off! So, no computer, no TV, no paper, and it is not bright enough to read a book. Amma started grumbling that she needed to grind the dough for murukku and wanted to finish some diwali savory on that day. paati thought otherwise. Just like how amma decided that I should take off, Paati thought, amma shouldn't do diwali sweets on a rainy day as this! Thatha also was grumbling about no power, no paper and told it was very irresponsible of dad not to have a transistor that runs on battery. I declared 'I have to get to work'!
Paati couldn't just believe her ears. She thought education and work is too much freedom for women. Mom got angry. Dad tried to reason out. Then the deal was made. If the driver(Narayan anna) comes, I can go to work. They were darn sure he wouldn't make it to work. Who would expect somebody to come from red hills to Kilpauk in this heavy lash! To their irony and my joy, the Narayan anna came. At around 10.40, I was off to work in my zen. Of course, with Narayan anna driving.
For the intensity of the rains/ details about flooded roads, please read other blogs. I thoroughly enjoyed my travel. To and Fro. At the beginning of the road, we'd evaluate, if my zen would make it to the end and then venture into it. In this 30 km drive, and heavy rains, there are a few things I noticed:
* Chennaiaites are seldom hydrophobic and their vehicles are partially amphibious. So what if the road is inundated? As long as the vehicle doesn't float, just hold down the clutch and the accelerator and cross the stretch
* We are entrepreneurial - People had acquired spot jobs on the road. A group of young guys would push the halted vehicles on the road for an agreed amount. They were considerate too. PTC buses are helped for free of cost
* Auto drivers are helpful, handy. To substantiate this, I should narrate a scene. A Tata indica had stopped in knee deep water(knees of a 6 footer) and 2 were finding it difficult to push. An auto driver, who came that way, put his leg out, rested it on the car and turned the accelerator of his vehicle. The car was cleared immediately
* Trees that fell on the roads were not lying around for too long. They were cleared almost immediately and hence the traffic was free flowing
* Motorists were considerate. Even in this heavy rains, they would stop to inform vehicles coming in the opposite direction about the safety in the road they just traveled
* Smart and cautious EB officials. Their timely power cuts prevented electrocution. It was a scary silent night! I realized in such weather, I miss the noise than the breeze from the fan!
* The very next day, after 40 cms of rain, life is back to normal and the Sun is smiling on Chennai!
* Chennai city Traffic police were available in most of the roads helping the public.

Call it politics or election stunt, the rains in Chennai has definitely left behind a feel-good factor!

Pottuko! We did it!

5 comments:

srivat said...

Intially I thought too many bloggers have written about it and I shouldn't. But there is always this residual happiness floating around for two three days even after the rains have stopped.I couldn't resist from narrating my joyous ride.After all it doesn't rain so often in Chennai!!!
BTW, most importantly, Has Murukku come out well. :-)

Yadhvi said...

Exactly Srivat!As I had mentioned in my previous blog, We'll never get bored of Mazhai! and about murukku and other savories, have enough to write another blog!

krishis said...

So who's this little johny ! I initially thought it was about the baby at ur place, only after I was halfway through the blog, did I realize :-)

As for holding down the clutch and running the engine - he he he ... the poor zen might need a li'l overhauling.

Tyler Durden said...

thambi krishis, neram thavarama blog padichu comment panra un theramaya naan paratren.

this is to certify that thiruvalarchelvan. krishis wins the "award for the prompt-commenter" hands down.

potukko.

Yadhvi said...

krishis,
yeah, zen definitely needs over-hauling.. Now, even when there's no water, it's assuming theat the clutch is held down and grunting!
And about li'l johnny, eveybody who enjoys rain is one!